This time of year has to be my all-time favorite. I love the holiday cheer, getting to slow down and really think about what I’m thankful, spending time with my family, and creating new memories. This time of year can be hard though also, it’s always hard getting together as a family and seeing that one seat empty.
One thing that makes is easier is all of our family traditions! I get to think back to all of the fun times Jessie and I had during these traditions – all the belly laughs, tears, goofy-ness, sass, and jokes that made her so special!!
For Thanksgiving traditions, we always take pictures at the Fashion Island Christmas tree (normally for Christmas cards) and then we head to my grandparents house for football, games, cooking, and of course: eating!! The day after Thanksgiving is when we can officially decorate for Christmas in the house!! For the years we are home, we have started getting a HUGE real Christmas Tree (like 14 feet tall). I’ll have to share pictures when we pick it out this weekend!! (We have a lot more Christmas traditions I’ll be sharing about as Christmas gets closer)
As Thanksgiving got closer this week, I started really thinking about what I’m thankful for and how much it has changed over the years. I realize more and more what’s important to me and what I’m so thankful God has blessed me with! I wanted to share a few of these things!
- My family. They’re honestly my best friends and I am so grateful that we are close and have so much fun together!
- The girls who have grown with me and who I’ve become best friends with even past high school.
- New friends who will push me in my faith and show me how lean on Jesus and love others like Jesus did.
- Parents who support my dreams and passions 100%; who encourage me to be my own person and who show me how important it is to be compassionate and hard-working.
- The foundation. It makes me speechless to even try describing, but I am so blown away and beyond thankful that Jessie’s dream and wish continues to grow and succeed daily. The countless volunteers and our incredible staff who help us can never be thanked enough. I am so proud of Jessie and all she has accomplished with the help of everyone around us who believes in her!
- A school that is tailored to my passion in interior design and allows me to be near home and continue helping the foundation.
- My health. I am very thankful for the flexibility in my schedule to stay healthy not just physically, but also emotionally and mentally. Those two areas (emotional and mental) are two of the biggest areas I’ve learned and grown in the recent months. Taking care of yourself is not just with healthy eating or exercise, but also making sure that mentally you are doing ok and allowing yourself the space to emotionally heal and breathe.
As you go about your day today, I challenge you all to really think about what and who you are thankful for and then either call or text that someone to let them know just how much they mean to you!!
P.S. I’m making some fun new recipes today! I’m trying this Pecan Pie (with my favorite regular crust) and this Sweet Potato Casserole! I can’t wait to see how they turn out 🙂 are any of you making anything fun or have any unique traditions?! I’d love to hear them!